Beards for men are the rage all over the world. Most of the Indian cricket team sports one, India’s top shuttlers Kidambi Srikanth and Sai Praneeth B. have them, Anup Kumar and Manjeet Chillar of the Kabaddi team have these, not to mention top actors Amitabh Bachchan, Rajinikanth, Dhanush, Aamir Khan, Surya, Sanjay Dutt, Nagarjuna, Ranveer Singh, Arjun Kapoor, Shahid Kapoor… The list is very long. And we are not even mentioning foreign players and actors here.
Apart from the fact that beards are in vogue these days, there are several health benefits as well to having one, and various types of research prove it.
1. Save your skin from harmful rays: Body hair protects the skin from harmful UV rays in sunlight. But since the face is mostly exposed to outside elements, a beard provides a thick layer of protection to our skin.
2. Slow down effects of aging: While beards help men look older, they also protect the skin from the harsh conditions outside, which, in turn, lessens the signs of aging and tanning. So, older but also younger.
3. Acts as filter: Many of us who live in cities suffer from frequent lung infections and breathing disorders due to high levels of pollution and dust. Facial hair acts as a filter, stopping pollutants from entering the nasal cavity. Those suffering from breathing problems could benefit from having facial hair.
4. Protection Against Cold: All body hair protects the skin from cold. But while we can wear layers of clothes to protect most of our body, the face mostly remains exposed. A beard goes a long way in protecting most of the face from harsh winter chill and cold winds.
5. Stay moisturised: Since the beard forms a thick layer between the outside air and your skin, the skin underneath stays protected and as a result, moisturised. No need to worry about dry skin. This also means that your skin stays supple and young for longer than if you didn’t sport a beard.
6. Protect Yourself from Infections: Even the most adept and careful shaver can get cuts and nicks while shaving. Plus, ingrown hair can be painful. There are also spots caused by hair follicles. Bacteria are naturally present in our skin, but with shaving, it can cause infections that lead to acne. With all these out of the way, your skin will be smooth and nick-free.
A beard can work to your advantage, in terms of looks as well as health. Remember to keep it clean and groomed, and it will serve you well in the long run.